Thread: The Green Party
View Single Post
Old 1st December 2017, 17:55     #149
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Once is an oversight, twice is carelessness, fifteen times is deliberate.

Farrar points out the obvious:

Quote:
(Y)ou need to understand candidates and MPs read the stories written about them. They do so religiously. Most have Google Alerts on their names. It is implausible in the extreme that she never read any of the stories on her that were inaccurate. In one case she didn;t even correct the interviewer.

Now some MPs take issues of accuracy very importantly when it comes to their background. As an example I know one MP who once had a profile of them appear in the Herald and there was a very minor mistake in it – the profile said the MP had a double degree but in fact they had one paper to go on their second degree. Not exactly a major thing but still inaccurate. The mistake was entirely the newspaper’s who had just assumed. But despite that, this MP e-mailed the reporter and pointed out the inaccuracy. That is what conscientious MPs do.
For Ghahraman to claim "oh I just didn't realise that there were published interviews in which the interviewer was under the impression I had actually been on the prosecution team" boggles the mind.

Just take her maiden speech to Parliament:

Quote:
“I saw that at the Rwanda Tribunal, at The Hague and when I prosecuted the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. Holding politicians and armies to account for breaching their powers. Giving voice to women, and minorities who are most viciously targeted by abusers.”
Not a single literally-untrue statement. But anyone with half a brain and certainly anyone who has ever been paid to write words will look at that and see it as a statement designed to leave the audience with the impression that she had prosecuted the bad guys while very carefully avoiding declaratively stating that. It's semantically equivalent to "no, we didn't sleep together (lol we were awake the whole time)".

So you might say "well she's a politician, they're all pricks, she's just being dodgy like they all do", but fuck me I kinda hold the Greens to a slightly higher standard. I fucking voted for them this time.