View Single Post
Old 12th October 2011, 18:26     #3
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

My only preference is for an actual [e-]democracy, so that we can all vote on individual issues.

I don't trust anyone to make decisions on my behalf for every issue that arises (cannabis reform immediately springs to mind), but I wouldn't mind if someone made decisions on my behalf for issues I don't care about.

Voting someone in is just the illusion of choice, since there are many things which contribute to the decision that the MP makes - I don't think that "democratically representing my electorate" comes to mind. When was the last time your MP asked you personally about a particular issue and told you he'd vote based on the replies he/she received? A token letter around election time asking what issues you consider important doesn't count...

I think that having a cutoff for MMP defeats the purpose of it being "representative", since 5% is more than a single seat in parliament, but you need to cross the threshold to be included. If 4% of people want a particular party, shouldn't 4% of the seats go to that party? I can understand if you don't even achieve 1 seat, but 5% seems to be slightly unfair.

I haven't given much consideration to the other systems, but if someone wants to sum them up it would be appreciated.