Thread: nCoV 2019
View Single Post
Old 14th August 2020, 03:33     #1019
Nothing

Fuck. This is not good.

I was wondering if something like this was going to happen. Like, how do we prevent people who work at or in quarantine facilities and at the border, coming into contact with all of those people who might have it, from acquiring the virus and spreading it among the general population?

If they get the virus, it's probably some time before they return a positive test, and if they only test once a week, and they become infectious several days before their weekly test, then they could be walking around spreading the virus in the general population for several days before they return a positive test themselves.

I think that working in the managed isolation facilities, quarantine facilities, or in any other border control role needs to be something like doing a tour of duty overseas; while you're on the job, you're not at home, effectively not in NZ. You're doing a tour of duty among the infected, maybe it's 3 - 6 months long; you're very well remunerated for this time, and when it's done, you do your own 14 day stint in quarantine with, 2 negative tests before you get back into the general population. A couple of months off, and then if you go back, you're once again going back to a work place that effectively means you're not in NZ. That's the job.

I think anything short of this, and we're just going to keep seeing the virus get through, over and over again.

I'm also worried that a bunch of swing voters will go "Well, Labour made a boo-boo, time to vote for National" and that this will therefore have a big impact on the outcome of the election. That's dangerous.

It's true that National weren't responsible for this blunder, but the fact that they weren't responsible for this blunder does not imply that they would do a better job of managing our border.

They might make any number of other mistakes, and in addition, they haven't had the time to build their team and be prepared to manage something like this, and they also haven't had the opportunity to learn from mistakes they have made, as the current government is presently engaged in doing.

We should stick with the team that has got SOME experience doing the right thing. Mistakes were inevitable regardless of who was going to be in charge (they've happened in pretty much every country all over the planet). We have to allow them a reasonable number of mistakes, so that they can learn to do better.

If we swap out to another team, we'll be swapping to a team that hasn't had the experience of managing our border under these conditions. That will make a whole lot more mistakes much more likely.

Last edited by Nothing : 14th August 2020 at 03:34.