View Single Post
Old 31st May 2007, 14:05     #1
BadNova

Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix - XBL and PSN

Quote:
You may have read about the upcoming, remastered version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo that will be coming out on both the XBox Live Arcade and the PS3’s online service. Since the initial announcement, we have learned a few more details and I’ve been able to piece together my thoughts on the developments.

First of all, Gamekult posted a “confidential” slide from the Capcom press conference that actually showed off the new Ryu sprite and how it compared to the original sprite in addition to the previous standard of high-resolution fighters, Guilty Gear X.

I took the liberty of cleaning up that slide and adding some fresh comparisons so that it is easier to see the difference. I’ve even added the Ryu sprite from Street Fighter 3 — the largest Ryu sprite until this generation.ryu-sprites.jpg

When I laid my eyes on this new sprite, I really had to do a double take to make sure that I was reading it correctly. But indeed, the new character sprites for SSF2T HD are so big and detailed, they don’t look like sprites at all. It looks like one of my remake dreams that I thought would never come true is actually becoming a reality.

As good as this single sprite looks, the true test will be seeing it in action. The number of frames in the character animation can make a huge difference. If they could exceed the animation in Street Fighter 3, I suppose that would be excellent.

It is also worth mentioning that the new sprites and artwork featured in this high definition remake is by UDON, the masterminds behind Capcom’s beautiful Street Fighter and Darkstalkers comic books.

When an iconic game like Street Fighter 2 receives such an overhaul, there is bound to be some gamers that are concerned. I thought this was addressed well by this comment made by Velops on the ******* post…

“There is also a risk that fans will not like the changes made to the animations. Hardcore fans have honed their skills based upon the the exact number frames for each attack animation. This includes hitbox sizes, reaction, and recovery times. If the change is noticeable, it could completely change the tiers for competitive online play.”

At the same time, I don’t think people should get too worried. Those dedicated to the original version will still have it to enjoy for their tournaments. Plus, there is nothing wrong with learning something new. A true fighting master should be able to learn different battle systems and adapt accordingly.

To ease the worry about how authentic this remake will feel, David Sirlin has confirmed that he is working on this project. He has worked on ports of Street Fighter 2 before and is an expert at the game himself.

Needless to say, I’m more that glad to see this true high-definition remake process turn into a continuing trend. Obviously, it would not be practical for every game, but it would be great to see some of the truly great games get a high-def makover while keeping the original feel intact. (High-res Sonic Trilogy, anyone?)

In case you missed it, we have an ongoing conversation about the Street Fighter remake going on in the forums. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/...g-sprites.html