View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2018, 14:58     #173
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Goes a loooooong way back, 19th century I think. It wasn't a new term when the German govt was using it to criticise "unpatriotic" media coverage during the First World War..
Yeah the phrase was around way before the Nazis - much like many of their moves they adopted and re-purposed it for their own ends (which is another trend that we've seen a recent upswing in with phrases like cultural marxism).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
IMHO the biggest difference between then and now is when the Nazis used media to whip up hatred and mainstreamify previously-extreme views it took a lot of work by a lot of very talented and hardworking Nazi propagandists. community manipulation through media and he had a whole Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda working at it.
Yep and they basically built a language of moving visual media basically from scratch (stuff like framing, transitions, closeups etc) and we're still using these principles in modern production (though obviously way more eloquently). They took the power of media very seriously (much to the worlds detriment).

To all the other stuff you've stated I totally agree - my original point to LS wasn't that things are the same, but that media (whether were talking about news, entertainment or any other type) has always been absolutely critical in the mobilisation of populations and that often (not always). Social media is less than 20 years old which is really young in terms of a medium. It mutated fast and both the hard (system based) rules and the social rules have moved just as fast which makes it very hard for people to build literacy skills and critically assess the information they're getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Hell, at least Goebbels and the Nazis had principles and were trying to achieve a sociopolitical goal. Facebook has perfected and automated hate-generation as nothing other than a revenue generator.
I believe Facebook, Twitter et al do have a sociopolitical goal (even if they don't know it) - and that's to turn everything into an economic transaction, to make the inalienable alienable and be the sole measure of an individuals worth.

[edited for speeeeling and grummer]

Last edited by [Malks] Pixie : 2nd November 2018 at 15:00.