Thread: Random Politics
View Single Post
Old 21st March 2011, 00:34     #197
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I can see some value in discouraging people from abusing the system by coming here "solely to give birth" in order to gain citizenship benefits. But I don't think that getting meningococcal disease at age three is a an example of this and I hope that the parents get citizenship.
In any event there's hardly any need to introduce the very draconian law which Labour did to deter most of the "coming here solely to give birth" types or there are better solutions than what Labour chose. To deter "holidaymakers" of this ilk, the country can deny entry to very heavily pregnant women unless they provide evidence that they can meet a certain level of costs associated with the child should the child suddenly pop out whilst mummy is in NZ.

With those on work visas, make it a condition that someone who falls pregnant has to leave NZ to give birth or risk losing their work permit. Of course, none of these things ought to apply to, for example, genuine refugees. It's far better to accept a few kids who appear "unwelcomed" in NZ as NZ citizens automatically rather than risk the political football of arguing over whether "Hey look, if [insert the name of some horrible country that the parents might be from] would accept your kid, he/she would not be stateless and thus he/she does not need NZ citizenship!" applies. And the country actually can live up to its frankly faked image of being caring and concerned about vulnerable members of humanity.