View Single Post
Old 25th July 2021, 09:42     #32
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
The main thing I'm struck with is how what you're concerned about is currently ongoing: the flow of ideas from such brilliant people is actively being stymied. But I don't notice you speaking up about it. Unless someone evokes a special phrase like "free speech".

The circumstances of today are very different to that of Galileo. The kind of speech that is being targeted is very different.

And we already expect "the state" to be arbiters over all kinds of facets of our lives, including what we can say in certain contexts. That's exactly why we appoint a government.

Now, if this a discussion of the nuance of the legislation, that would be different, right? But if you're just coming out with a big ole "I wann mah free speech" hammer, well... there's no brilliant insight here for the state to suppress.
Nope, i want to hear all types of opinions from all different people, both good and bad. Yes, the state does have some ability to prosecute people or censor under existing legislation. But not to extend to the point where someone will be prosecuted for being 'insulting toward a group'.