View Single Post
Old 10th May 2023, 16:49     #32
Cyberbob

Firstly, props for the Time Machine reference.
The key thing is that this isn't making manual labour more efficient and replaceable, like the prior industrial revolutions. It's making intelligent labour more efficient and replaceable.
But we also have a terribly shit sense for forecasting the future of technology, so who the fuck knows.
I don't have my meal in a pill, my robotic arm that turns the newspaper for me, or my flying car, because profitable innovation in technology steered so far away from simply extrapolating what experiences people of the time had to leverage in their forward thinking.

I'm aware of the fact that we're only looking at possibilities with the context of living in 2023, and don't have any clue what we'll be doing with AI in 50-100 years time, because it's still too early to tell.
We're being wowed by the Wright Brothers in 1903, discussing how flying vehicles will work, with no capacity to imagine the practicalities of landing on the moon 66 years later, air superiority winning wars, international passenger travel, and you know, the Ford Model T and everything that came after it.

We can't look at it in isolation. So many other factors went into those technological advancements, not just "flight", exactly like how it won't be "just AI." What geopolitical pressures, or Eureka moments, or Great Men™ will arrive to push the needle one way or another.

Wake me up when AI can create a more effective AI that can create a more effective AI that can create a more effective AI that can create a more effective AI that can create a more effective AI...