View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2021, 21:04     #42688
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

I got an Intel i5-11400F - this thing is fantastic!

Workload is a PostgreSQL database, so my benchmark is an account invoice report over a 1.3M row table with various joins and calculations with other tables.

Results:
AMD EPYC 7601 (cloud server, 16 allocated threads, 32GB RAM): 22.5 seconds
AMD Ryzen 2600 (6core/12 thread, 16GB RAM) : 12.1 seconds
AMD Ryzen 3100 (4core/8 thread, 16GB RAM): 10.0 seconds
Intel 11400F (6core/12 thread, 16GB RAM): 7.6 seconds

PostgreSQL isn't doing much in parallel queries (max 2), so it's more of a single thread test than a summed test of all the cores - a lot of the time is a final sort of the table, which I don't think is parallelized.

I tried 3200MHz RAM vs 2400MHz RAM but it makes very little difference in this test on either Ryzen or Intel - ~0.1second difference for both cases. That's about 1% in reality for what looks like 20-25% on paper.

It's not just a case of one CPU family is "better" than the other, it really depends on what you're intending to use it for: the Ryzens still beat the Intel significantly doing xmrig (Monero hashing), and time to calculate the DAG for ETH mining. Easily 30% faster for these things, even the older 2600 - but as far as bang for buck, this Intel is pretty fucking good, and is great for my PostgreSQL stuff. CPU was $259, total system build was ~$700 (no GPU, I use it headless). I very much doubt that a more expensive 11th Gen would reduce my execution time significantly - at least not enough to justify a 'twice the price' CPU.