View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2020, 23:45     #45
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Back to bass lessons after the Xmas break, decided to record myself "improvising"/playing to backing tracks for progress marker. One take wonders.

Reggae
Funk

Sharing not because I'm great, but because I just want to not care if people hear me playing, which I am getting more used to now. I'm definitely not as good as MadMax's Davie504 post, but hey, 4 months. Good enough to record bits for my own music and beginning to understand basslines a whole lot more than I did.

Ghetto 4x10 cabinet I cobbled together over Xmas from Trade Me bits (amp $21, cabinet $1) and new cheap woofers (4 x $23) from Surplustronics. My sister's Xmas present to me was driving over Auckland picking all the shit up and bringing it down to my parents.

Went to the Rockshop and compared with brand name (Blackstar + Ampeg) bass combo amps, and mine sounded about as good as a $1000 one (1x15), but was beaten in the low end by a $1300 one (2x10). Mine hits the low G nicely, but the low E lacks the boom I was hoping for. Probably because I used cheap speakers with higher Fs values than I should have (I just selected by price rather than performance) and no cabinet tuning, but it was an experiment. My next version will be much better with the lessons learnt. I've only done car subs before this, so I had no idea what a bass cabinet was even supposed to sound like.