View Single Post
Old 9th February 2011, 00:14     #1
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Your top ten games

what are your top ten games of all time? OF ALL TIME!? and why?

heres mine:

10: Civilization 4
leonard nimoy! o;! even tho civ 5 is has succeeded it, 4 was where i had my civ memories. so many good times. the music is beautiful. the layered sounds of the world. the graphical details. just a great experience.

9: Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery
gorgeous, historical, city builder of epic epic proportions. love it love it love it. can suck a whole weekend easily, if not an entire week.

8: Racedriver: GRiD
not the most realistic racing game (GTR2 should get an honourable mention here as a possible replacement if im after absolute realism), but its still a solid and absolutely enjoyable experience. gorgeous scenery, the controls are fine tuned to perfection, and the roar of the engines.. nothing beats piloting the mazda 787b around the otukama grand circuit.

7: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
ive only just played this game, but already its one of my favourites of all time. i love scary games - i waited with baited breath for doom 3, which turned out to be average in the scariness department. this game not only gives you no weapons, very little health, and even a limited supply of sanity, but has a way of making you feel like your very life is on the line around every corner - and yet, unlike doom 3, its not predictable, and it scared the hell out of me. very very good.

6: Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
the best and most realistic war strategy game ever made. brilliant turn based WW2 fun. basic graphics, but makes up for it by simulating just about everything about a battlefield.

5: Team Fortress 2
over 500 hours played - nuff said. great mindless quake-like action, but its the humor and characters that made me come back to it countless times. having sandvich picnics in the sewers with the enemy, or arguements in voice binds with teammates, so many crack up moments.

4: League of Legends
been playing this now for 4 months or so - mad game. basicly DOTA, but standalone as its own game, free to play, and with a large player base. can play solo on a random team, or premade teams with mates. i cant stop playing this one, its my bread and butter.

3: Quakeworld
what needs to be said? i spent more time playing this game than any other. literally years and years. the perfect deathmatch fps, and clan arena on games.gen.nz was pretty much my teenage life, after prosper that is..

2: STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
as atmospherics and the ability to make you think you are actually in the game world go, this game cant be beaten. the first time i was sent to the agroprom institute - bare concrete walls, no (or broken) windows, rusted bars, no lighting - while a thunderstorm rages on and flashes through the windows was one of those moments where i actually had to sit back and think wow, this is what its like to be here. not many games can do that. also scary as hell.

1: Myst 3: Exile
an immense, absorbing, mind bending game, i wish there were more like this. an absolute masterpiece.