Thread: nCoV 2019
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:00     #761
Nich

The stimulus can not last for the entire pandemic / joblessness / economic "reset". Aus gov recently announced their real budget for Jobkeeper programme is actually $70b rather than stated $130b. The stimulus is mostly intended to help people pay their fixed expenses (rent, power, internet, food), and was probably also partly intended to let people buy some other non essential shit too (Netflix, clothes, Playstation 4...). Now lots of people wont ever receive it, and for many it will not be enough to get them through the entire duration.

I presume most people's spending habits are changed forever, any stimulus cheque they receive will likely go straight into their savings account for essentials. There will be exceptions who are desperate to return to the way it was ... but those people who want it enough to spend their money to get things back to pre 2020 will be rare. Most people are waiting, holding onto their purchasing power to see how this shitshow plays out.

Some good personal news: Our airbnb is solid booked by current guest until August! Phew

Also: I am thankful that Hazel is 1y/o and I would otherwise be classified as unemployed but I get to be fulltime dad. Very thankful to be in regional area surrounded by nature...

Last edited by Nich : 22nd May 2020 at 22:03.