View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2019, 21:28     #59
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The WHO definition does have a qualifier/subordinate clause which involves the likelihood of the threat causing psychological harm. I guess the problem is not really about what "violence" is [the definition itself assumes a physical act], but the threshold at which people are claiming to experience psychological harm.

That said, apparently "famous" people (even famous in NZ) receive all sorts of weirdo hate messages saying they/their family deserve to be raped, or that someone knows where their kids go to school, etc. That _would_ be a slight concern if it was a complete stranger that lived nearby with Mongrel Mob pictures, holding guns and cash, puffing a big cloud in their profile pic.

I guess everyone has their own level of tolerance. As a guy, I guess I don't worry about most people, although I wouldn't be too comfortable if nutcase strangers started telling me my home address etc. and threatening me. It's not violence, but it wouldn't be very pleasant. Being told I "nd a fukn hidng" in a comment wouldn't meet my threshold of psychological harm, as it's an illiterate opinion rather than an actual threat.