Thread: ausvotes 2016
View Single Post
Old 4th July 2016, 13:27     #11
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

yeah it's the weirdest thing about voting in oz. to get to the polling station you also have to run the gauntlet of party volunteers thrusting voting instruction cards at you. "CONFUSED ABOUT HOW TO VOTE? JUST COPY WHATS ON THIS CARD"

my local electorate vote was simply determined, namely for the candidate who had the best chance of unseating a sitting conservative misogynist bullyboy prick. For years this seat has been among the safest of the safe but this time a popular local candidate from a minor party was looking good so I voted for her, and she took it. first time in a while I've felt like my vote actually influenced anything, this seat has been rock-solid blue for a long time.

my upper house - kinda equivalent to a Party vote in nz - voting preferences this year were much the same as ever, broadly progressive-humanist stuff, highest priority given to minor parties whose policies I like but who had no chance of winning (e.g. top places to the Australian Sex Party - sensible policies, silly name - Arts Party, Marriage Equality Party) down to parties and independent candidates whose policies I find abhorrent (e.g. xenophobes and bible-bashers like One Nation, Family First, Christian Democrats). Of the 3 "major" parties in my list I had Greens, Labor, Liberal in that order.