Thread: TV posts
View Single Post
Old 29th November 2022, 16:56     #7820
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
One reason I think is because they're characters no one cares about, so they're not written trying to meet the expectations of fans.

Compare Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi with The Mandalorian and Andor.
Andor was an incredible war drama. Throw the entire thing into any wartime scenario, and it would transpose almost apples for apples. Take a WWII era French resistance freedom fighter plot, throw in a POW turned death camp arc, and almost all the notes still hit.
It respected the intelligence of the viewer, didn't hold back, and struck gold.

Mando, especially season 1, was a great Western/Samuari Lone Wolf & The Cub series. Sprinkle in notes of a heist and a horror, and other than falling a little into the 'Villain of the Week' trope, it checks out. It was Robert Rodriguez. I was supposed to get Desperado, but I got Spy Kids.

Boba Fett had good moments. It fleshed out the Tusken more than any media has before, but pacing was all over the place, as was the quality of the episodes. I think my favourite episode of the lot may as well have been seen as The Mandalorian 2.5.

Kenobi I enjoyed, but almost all of that is due to me loving the characters rather than it being a good tv series. I didn't like the fact that they re-used the reluctant father figure trope after doing exactly that in The Mandalorian.
I enjoyed the Kenobi/Leia dynamic, and I enjoyed the Inquisitor manhunter plot, but it tried to be too many things at once, and didn't do either exceptionally well at either. It definitely didn't respect the viewers intelligence IMO, and some of the script was prequel levels of bad. Far too many plot points you could see a mile coming, and relied on spoon feeding rather than inferring.

It's not easy to tell a Star Wars story. Tell a great story that happens to respect the Star Wars universe, and you've got yourself a winner.

With all of that in mind, I'm looking forward to Acolyte, and I'm worried for Ahsoka.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 29th November 2022 at 17:01.