View Single Post
Old 24th February 2008, 13:35     #2006
ZengE

It's not just 'good' parenting ...

In much the same way as reading the rode code doesn't give you the ability to drive, being able to spew forth something you've read in a book about how children supposedly behave and for what reason doesn't make you any better equipped to actually get them to do or act in a certain way.

I'm not saying people with lots of knowledge aren't capable, just that most parents, who are going through the practical experience, don't appreciate those who they know have no real-world practical experience standing by and telling them where they're going wrong and what they should be doing instead.

Lightspeed hit the nail on the head, when you're up to your arse in alligators, it's sometimes hard to remember you're task was only to drain the swamp. Sometimes the 'helpful' advice does nothing more than add frustration to an already tense situation, especially with a lot of first time parents. I appreciate others offering me their wisdom and sage advice, but I personally think I'd like to work it through myself.

Last edited by ZengE : 24th February 2008 at 13:37.