Thread: US race riots
View Single Post
Old 16th June 2020, 14:45     #86
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I was more interested in your thoughts on what he said in that particular piece, not who he is or what network he is on. But your response was another good example of what's happening today - more people are disagreeing with opinions/views because of who holds/transmits them, rather than judging the viewpoint by its merits.

The world sure is divided. Did you agree with what he said, or refuse to watch it?
I watched it for a couple of minutes, but dismissed it pretty quickly as being unnecessarily inflamatory and filled with points made in bad faith. After reading your reply, I thought I'd go back and watch it again and give it a fair shot.

You want to focus on what he said, not who he is or what network he's on, but I think it's what he says where a lot of the issue is.

My notes in the first half:
  • Rise of left wing mobs.
  • They are a threat to everyone.
  • Admitting that he doesn't care what the "left wing mob" says they want, but going straight to his opinion that they want to burn your country down.
  • Calling left wing vampires.
  • Left wing mobs want to eliminate rights and tolerances.
  • Relentless propeganda eliminating the right to resist.
  • Bagging CNN specifically - What the other side is saying.
  • Sesame Street's "Racism is a huge problem. PoC are being treated unfairly" interpreted as "Kids, America is a very bad place and it's your fault."
  • "Who are we, at this point we're becoming North Korea"
  • Claiming "Defund the police" will become "Kill the police" because no one will stop "them"

In the second half.
  • He had points regarding radical responses to cases that didn't warrant it (UCLA specifically).
  • "Sweeping racial attacks should be fought with everything we have no matter who the target is"
  • "Today the left has highlighted one racial group to hate and punish" - meaning hatred of white people.
  • Democrats believe they can win by inciting violence
  • Republicans have a moral duty to stand by and defend us.
  • "Republican Senators would sell you out for the price of lunch, they can't even point out the endless lying."
  • Lying from everyone. No citizen believes anyone.
  • Critising GoFundMe of being overly critical.
  • Critisizing people that are against by the "I'm not Racist" statement. Disagreed, nothing good has every come from someone saying that.

Some great points were made in the second half, and personally I agree that a lot of the responses like GoFundMe and UCLA swang too hard in the opposite direction.

There's definitely a level of irony when he's discussing the left mobs and nazis in the same sentence, and earlier called the left wing Vampires, literally using the same analogies as actual anti-Semite nazi propaganda.

He's a professional political divider. He divides for profit, and it's a business model that works for him.
It works for everyone. I'm not trying to single out Fox here, CNN and MSNBC are just as bad. If Trump did something good, they wouldn't tell me.

At the end of the day, it's an entertainment format disguised as serious political discussion. None of that segment is for political discussion.
He threw in a few punches to the Republicans half way through the second half, but the entire time it was all about painting the worst possible light. How is anyone supposed to defend Vampires, or burning your country down, or becoming North Korea, or Killing the Police. You can't because it's not intended to be a discussion. It's for division.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 16th June 2020 at 14:49.