View Single Post
Old 1st June 2010, 13:50     #40
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Midwives are interesting creatures. I know of some people who claim to have had good ones, but everyone I've actually met has hated theirs.
My first was an apathetic cow who took 20 minutes before handing my baby over to me, and couldn't care less about getting the feeding right.
My second .. well. She might have been a great midwife, I'll give her that. However she knew damn well that she was going to be on a course on the week I was due and didn't mention this until 2 weeks before I was due, giving me the number of her second (who I'd never met). When I did actually have sprog on the date I was supposed to, the second midwife was resentful and blamed me for "not holding on" til the original midwife was back.
Original midwife then flipped into "couldn't care less" mode when she returned. Just lovely.

While I'm pleased that eff tee had a great midwife, I think she may well be the exception to the rule - all the ones I've encountered have been careless and blase about the whole thing, not staying up with important developments, not giving a crap about the mothers health or comfort, and with a spectacular attitude that we should then be grateful that they have deigned to birth our babies and owe it to them to have fantastically quick easy births. Pretty damn irritating at a time when you really really don't need the irritation.