View Single Post
Old 1st June 2010, 08:47     #29
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
All this talk of tits and no actual pictures is grinding my gears.
If you couldn't see a bit of nip I'd throw up a pic of my post-surgery tit, complete with drain poking out. Nothing would kill a morning boner faster.

Imo a midwive is pretty much useless when it comes to breast feeding. Lactation consultants, however, are not. What I learnt from the consultant was that if mastitis isn't attended to in the first 24 hours then the infection will go nuts - cue my abscesses. Of course I didn't find this out until I was in hospital. My midwife (who was a different midwife from my birthing one btw) was the whole "clear the breast naturally, apply hot flannels, cue cabbage leaves etc" when I was there in agony with a tit as hard as a rock.

Also, yeah skipping a feed can bring on mastitis?! Did your obstetrician tell you it couldn't *snort* The baby starts to feed at longer intervals, starts sleeping through the night, and you wake up in the morning with tits the size of watermelons, bursting at the seams. My infection came on after a night of sleep.

For the tl;dr - breast feeding bad, bottle feeding good, tits that haven't been damaged by the ravages of an infant are good.