Thread: Evolution
View Single Post
Old 16th July 2000, 02:29     #28
chiQ
Frag-muff

Big Smile

Hahahaha! Yeah ok PK whatever.

I've noticed a habit of PK's of deciding something's a fact and refusing to budge on it, because his logic dictates that there can be no other possibility, so don't bother arguing with him. It'll just wind PK and those who disagree with him up to no avail. Believe me, I've done this and got to the point where I was furious...like the Borg, resistance is futile...

To those who agree with PK, but are a little more open to alternate views, it wasn't a case of a monkey suddenly standing up and walking like a man. It took a very long time over generations. A gene mutation would occur that happened to enhance survival probability, and therefore resulted in a more efficient and dangerous "version", e.g. longer, straighter legs, meaning fluid running motion was easier, leading to a more efficient hunting machine, meaning more likely to survive. The difference may have been subtle, and not terribly noticeable until those who carried similar traits interbred, producing more and longer legged specimens. It's similar to the way modern breeds of dogs or cats are developed; by nature/the breeder taking advantage of certain genetically determined traits. This may be a certain fur colour in a cat, or a trait that enhances the likelihood of surviving to reproduce in an evolving species in the wild. That's where the term survival of the fittest comes from. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen *Rachael Hunter simper*

------------------
[email protected]