View Single Post
Old 4th January 2010, 10:41     #394
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You think? I think the book had the advantage of making you use your imagination more about the various scents.

It's very hard to show a scent in visual terms, I actually thought they did quite well with it owing to that. I thought the acting was solid, the story plot was solid and the visuals were brilliant.

Reading the book, sure, if you're an avid reader of fiction (I'm not) and would prefer your imagination to a directors, then the book is probably best.

If you're the average person who doesn't read much fiction, this movie has a superb story.
Yeah I just found there were too many changes to the original story and it seemed like it had been very toned down. The book is quite chilling in places and I didn't get that at all in the film - it just seemed toned down.

As far as the scent thing goes - thats why it worked as a book but not as a film in my opinion - you simply cannot go and "display" scent and have it equitable to the actual immagination of a scent.

Each to their own - it wasn't as bad as the brutally mauling which the Time Travellers Wife got given though.

Pixie