View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:47     #367
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
The thing is, a "good" chick flick isn't boring. It's fluff, but not boring. The Devil Wears Prada, The Proposal...yeah I don't watch many movies, but those were the last "chick" flicks I watched and I found them entertaining.
Most of the romcom are variants of Pride and Prejudice. e.g. 27 Dresses, The Proposal, etc. Man and woman first met, they hated each other. Then through [FILL IN THE BLANKS, LOTS OF FUNNY SHITS HAPPENED! LOL!] they realise they are meant for each other and live happily ever after. THE FUCKING END. What can I say? Hollywood as an industry has little imagination.

The Devil Wears Prada is an exception. It is based on a novel that, satires the fashion industry and people in it (e.g. Nuclear Wintour), basically saying they are devils. The movie, sadly, glamourise the fashion industry, claiming there is some kind of etho behind the bitchy backstabbing and size 0 obsession. The equivalent of Nuclear Wintour in the movie, played by Meryl Streep, is a very likeable character underneath her fascist façade. It is worth it just to see her and her character in action.