View Single Post
Old 1st April 2019, 23:48     #13
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
And social media is now how we do that. To suggest people don't HAVE to engage socially in that manner reduces humans to a set of rational conscious decisions.
But there is not a single "social medium" that we all see the entirety of (for instance, if we were all forced to use a single talkback radio station). Let people choose which platform (if there is a market for a regulated platform/safe space, let them choose that one), and who they follow/friend/network with.

I have to go out of my way to find things I really disagree with, and I've never had to do anything more than close the tab. I've unfollowed people who turn out to be spewers of bullshit, or just inconsistent in their paranoid rantings. I don't expect them to be banned because *I* disagree with them, just that their audience will organically diminish if they continue being idiots.

I think it's better to let the haters hate very openly, so at least they out themselves if they're attention seeking psychopaths, or other people in the online community have a chance to let them know that their view is wacky if they're just ignorant or horrible.

(I think I mostly agree with Nich, after actually reading his post)