View Single Post
Old 17th May 2003, 18:38     #120
Mish
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question

What is the Reloaded?

This is just something I bashed out in 10 minutes after getting home from the movie, it only exists so I could extrapolate some ideas and take a look at where the Wachowskis are going with the next film.

Before you read this, I realize that some people hated the movie and some loved it, I thought it was O.K. and its definitely left enough up in the air to give revolutions room to be a good film.

These are just random ways of looking at the film, don't be offended if you disagree with any of them. Hell, I don't agree with all of them.

1.) The little details.
1.1) The Rave/Orgy
1.2) Got Root?

2.) Zion.
2.1) Zion is bugfix.
2.2) They never made it back.
2.3) Zion is real(a).
2.4) Zion is real(b).

3.) Who is Neo anyway?

4.) What is the Matrix anyway?

1.) The little details:

1.1) The Rave/Orgy:
While most people disliked this scene for various reasons (too long, no plot development, too cheesy, etc) I disliked it because it failed at telling the story it was trying to get across.

On a basic level the rave scene shows a sharp contrast between humanity and ‘the machines’, the machines showing a cold, calculating exterior while the humans are shown as a writing mass of flesh and emotion.

On a (slightly) deeper level the rave/orgy scene enforces the fact that the Zion culture is trying to climb back from the abyss of extinction. They're procreating with so much energy and vigor as the future of their species depends on it.

1.3) Got Root?:
Just a minor point but there are very few films who use tech. in a way that would work in the 'real world(tm)'.

Everything is this screengrab is possible in the 'realworld' (hell they're even using NMAP and an SSH1 CRC exploit), the only flaw you could pick is that they're 'hacking' a internal IP address (10.2.2.2) but they could already be inside the network in question or it could just be akin to the 555-xxxx prefix used for phone numbers in movies so that there's no chance of it being a real world phone number (or IP in this case).

2.) Zion.

We can speculate, but we weren’t given enough detail to be 100% sure of the direction the Wachowskis are going to take in Revolutions, here are the most likely choices:

2.1) Zion is bugfix.
Zion is a primary (or secondary depending how you look at it) Matrix, designed to capture the 1% of the population who ‘awaken’ and fool them into thinking they’ve escaped the matrix when all they’ve actually done is manage to escape into an ‘overflow’ Matrix put there as a bugfix to prevent that 1% from waking up ‘all the way’.

2.2) They never made it back.
Their final ‘return’ to Zion was somehow hijacked, so the first 2 hours of Zion were real but the last 20 minutes are just a simulation.

2.3) Zion is real(a).
Zion is the real world and the sentinels that get taken down at the end weren’t taken down by Neo but by an EMP from either the botched counter-attack or from Naiobi's ship and just happened to coincide with Neo confronting the machines (his ‘feeling’ could be completely unrelated to the machines going down.)

2.4) Zion is real(b).
Zion is the real world and through his ‘mingling’ with Agent Smith inside the Matrix he now as the ability to somehow take down the machines,

3.) Who is Neo anyway?:

Neo is "The One", "The One" is a figure that has arisen with each Matrix incarnation (6 at current count) and who is seemingly always touted as humanities savior by "The Oracle" (a program of the Matrix).

What better way to keep the population of Zion under control that to provide a 'Savior" program to give the 1% that 'escape' enough hope to pacify them a little and stave off desperation for a while.

"The One" had powers that no human has ever had (apart from the previous 'ones'), each time he 'arises' he rises oblivious to his true purpose only to be told near the end of his journey what his real reason for existence is.

But this time something went wrong that no-one planned for, he fell in love and disrupted the events that had gone so well the previous 5 times (Or did he, maybe things are still going along exactly as the Matrix wants.)

This plays well with the fact that when Neo (or his program if this is correct) 'mingles' with Agent Smiths program he leaves an aftertaste on Smith so that Smith is unwilling to be deleted, a trait that is very strongly embedded in Neos program.

The fact that Neo has such masterful control over the Matrix to the point where he can bring back the dead would also be more easily explained if he is in fact a construct of the Matrix himself.

4.) What is the Matrix anyway?:

There are ways of looking at the Matrix universe:
  • Maybe EVERYONE is a program.
  • Maybe the purpose of the Matrix is really the advancement of AI
  • Maybe the machines are really using the human race for PROCESSING power and the Power Generation thing is just a red herring. Why use humans for power when sheep would do and be more easily placated. Hell, if you have to use Humans why not remove all non essential sections of the brain and just turn them into vegetables.
There are lots of ways to look at what The Matrix has given us so far and that (for me) is the main part of the fun.

You could even speculate that just as the Reloaded title signified that we learnt that the Matrix has been 'reloaded' 6 times that in 'Revolutions' we may see the film ending with the Matrix 'Reloading' and entering its seventh 'Revolution'.

Bring on Revolutions and lets see where the Wachowskis are taking this.