Thread: nCoV 2019
View Single Post
Old 9th September 2020, 22:45     #1173
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
No. Science is not doing stuff and watching what happens. That's just observation. Science is the system by which we separate the true stuff from the false stuff.
Scientific discipline at its most basic is keeping accurate notes. Even if you're completely barking up the wrong tree, progress is keeping a record of that. Three year olds aren't disciplined but still experiment with the world and learn from those experiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Religion in that regard is an eloquent way of saying that we'll make up stories and things we know not to be true to make the scary unknown sound nice, e.g. You're not worm food and eternal nothingness when you die, you're in heaven with your friends, but only if you eat all your broccoli, follow these ten or so rules for being a GoodBoy™ and avoid these seven or so things that would make you a BadBoy™
That's the trope. The story of religion as sold by people who set themselves to visit children in school.

Do you consider your sense of self a story you know not to be true? I consider my own self a story, but it's a true story. And it's also different from the stories others have of themselves, or have of me. Is there a real me? Is there a real you? I can definitely tell there's something there. What's going on?

If science has a way to grapple with this, it hasn't raised its hand yet.