Thread: Player History
View Single Post
Old 15th June 2003, 04:16     #179
Shoyu

Thumbs up

I realised I haven't yet participated in this thread QUITE a bit earlier, but didn't really have the time to spare or patience in writing about myself until tonight, so here goes.

I believe I started playing in 1998. I was introduced to TF by my brother, NeoTiger, and he was introduced to TF by Soulblade, and Soulblade was probably introduced to TF by Warnight. That's as far up the family tree as I could go :P Anyway, I still remember watching NeoTiger play on his Pentium 133 with a 4MB S3 Virge card. Looked like heaps of fun, so I tried it on my P75 with a 2MB card... didn't think it would run Quakeworld but luckily it did! Even though I had 400+ms ping and a maximum of 10 fps at 320x200, no one knew the definition of lag at the time so it didn't really affect the gameplay at all. I enjoyed trying to get to the top of the fraglist all the time... usually by being an engineer with a well placed sentry gun. Rock2 was most memorable.. placing the sentry gun on top of one of the towers always gave many returns :P (frags). Clans I can remember at the time includes FFP, WKH, TFT.

My first clan was TF. Not sure what it stood for, but I think it was led By Helldog. Other clan members I can still remember were Razzimatazz and Master. I only remember 1 clan game we played and that was against WAR. It was a one sided match... 150-0 (150 was the fraglimit for clan games) on 2fort5(?). We had 5 while WAR had 8, but we were so unorganised that it wouldn't make any difference... we just played like it was a public server. Later on in the year TF disbanded and my next clan was AoC(C? W? strange I cant remember the name atm) led by Locutus. I knew him and others such as rippy and bobdog in highschool so that was pretty cool. This clan must've ended sometime before March 1999 because that's when TNA was formed.

March 1st, 1999 is one day I'll never forget (only because it's on TNA's webpage which I've maintained for so many hours ). TNA was formed with some of AoC(?)'s members like Wuffell plus a few that I recruited in that first month such as Agrath, RMF, Lynx, Rebel Demon, Jono, Heartworm. With TNA's early-1999 team, the only game I remember playing was against PoW with the likes of MrTTTT, Corrupt, Wizzy... legends We managed to lose only 2 caps which I'm still quite proud of till today, because the result was through teamwork. I can't find the screenshot anymore, but if you compared the players on each team, anyone would say PoW would win by 100+ frags easily. Our defence was 5 players all in the basement of 2fort5r 2 engineers, 1 soldier, 1 demoman and 1 medic. Our attack had no hope, but the basement was quite secure, hence only 2 caps lost. PoW already had the standard 2fort5r defence sussed out at the time with 1 engineer and soldier in basement, someone at ramps and someone at spirals (hwguy?). By late 1999, we played TMC at least 6 times. TNA vs TMC matches have always been the most enjoyable matches. No bitching - only "sincere" well wishes.

By year 2000 I was learning quite a bit on how to become a better leader. Received quite a lot of advice from Avatar of X-es and Krogoth of TU. TNA's lineup included new members such as Hitman, Illustrious, Loony, Master, and Col/Digriz/Krogoth (late 2000 after TU disbanded), Vortex. Our peak was definitely our draw game against the mighty COM. We lost 2fort5r but was winning on Bam4 before the server was shutdown for no apparent reason :P Adun, since its been so long, was it really shutdown for reasons other than on purpose? :P Our defence was Hitman rr demoman (the ultimate bam4 rr defence at the time.. seriously!), Col lift soldier, Digriz bm soldier, and Master engineer. Master was always the quickest in getting SG up at the start of game... and that was the key to determining whether your team would get a cap with early scout rushes! Illustrious and Loony were the scouts that attacked with me and griff as soldiers. Year 2000 also marks my first appearances on duel servers late at night :P It's been addictive, and still is today! When you have a busy life but still enjoy playing TF, dueling is the best solution because you can start gibbing away the very first minute... no need to organise 16 people for a game... not even a 5 minute prematch wait :P 20 minutes can get you up to 40 frags tfvstf2 was the 1on1r back then... I somehow became really good at dueling. Only thing I know is that I got better after upgrading from the P75 machine, so fps obviously matters! Warnight, Purge and Cann were the top duelers at the time I believe, and I finally managed to beat the nzers. I must say, I didn't have any ego back then. I didn't realise I could beat the very best duelers until they told me later on. Cann was someone I couldn't really beat, but I was still an MPB (Ihug Ultra). Proud to say however, that my final achievements against Cann were draw games. I have never lost a duel ever since Cann disappeared sometime in 2001. Dueling is really just an art - means nothing in real games. I would relate it to kungfu... you can train your inner strength/health as much as you like, but it won't make you play soccer better. Nor will it let you kill someone faster than using a rifle. It's an art. And a few seconds on egos! The bigger the ego you have, the more you have to lose. Lesson = get rid of ANY degree of ego to enjoy TF more. Btw, ZimZum, was that you Purge?

TNA disbanded early this year, and a TNA2 was formed. Clans disbanded way too easily.. was the trendy thing maybe :P When things just don't work out, why not start over! TNA2 had quite a few new members again, but the only person I can remember RIGHT at this moment is Volatile. TNA2 didn't last very long and isn't really worth writing about. I became a member of DoW led by Adunaphel -> Kahn before it died. Only remember playing FV on well6 with Kahn scout, Corrupt sniper and myself soldier attack. Corrupt owned so much as sniper at the time that the ozzies had to start throwing cheat-abuse I formed DE (D Elite) with some of DoW's members after it died, but DE died when Kahn poached everyone for LAH I joined TC later on in the year led by Striker. Striker, Purge, Festus, Porkfest, Judge, Swoop, Monkey, QueQ, bliP, Adunaphel, Jaguar, Summoner - has to be one of the best teams ever We were a good challenge against LAH even though they had lpbs like Corrupt/Vortex plus Mr.Cann. Near the end of the year, HMF was the only clan, led by Halfpint, that entered oztf2 so Purge, bliP and myself played for HMF temporarily before TC really died. HMF at the time was a mix of TC and LAH plus Halfpint and raxime, so we had a decent go against the aussies. TNA was reformed after I left TC in June 2001. I made a promise to everyone who joined TNA that the clan will never disband again, and hey!, we're still alive and kicking even today... members were Digriz, Wuffell, bliP near the beginning, very soon joined by Festus, Porkfest, Archangel, Jimhend, Jonan and Volatile. Our first two clan games were against LAH. Screenshot of the first game shows 30-0 on 2fort5r, which is not a bad effort I guess, since it was our first game with the team and all. The last game against LAH was on the 5th of August 2001. I still remember the tight match on Bam4 with Jin observing (TNA sub) and Purge spectating. Jin ended up playing for LAH since they were 1 man short, and the match was still 0-0 until the last 5 minutes or so, when Jin was replaced by Nevamind :P Someone might remember this game... TNA lost to LAH 10-0. Bam4 has always been TNA's strongest map ever since day one for some reason. Whether it be against TU, COM, or LAH, we always displayed our best teamwork on this map.

2002 - Today

I'm losing patience so I'll keep it short. End of 2002 was definitely the biggest decline of activity within the NZTF community. Many players left, from speculation it was possibly due to the dominance of soldier-only matches, excessive bunny hopping/speed jumping and later FRJ, much more reliance on individual skill and ping/fps - much less teamwork involved etc. Teamwork still exists, but only in the form of individual player experience :/ a pickup team could easily beat even the top clans nowadays. It would have been much more difficult for a random team to beat an established clan back in the days. TNA for example established many strategies - pages and pages of HTML (only the person having to write it would know hehe) back in year 2000. Oh, and surely the decline of NZTF's population was due to the politics :/ Politics and also abuse... Kahn created some havoc. HellStorm picked it up when we all thought peace would finally arrive :P but hey, people grow up eventually... time allows things to be forgotten.

Today - Future

TF has really been a big part of my teenage years. I don't see any harm in continuing the game. There's been rapid development in Australia's community and we share the benefits. OZTF3 keeps clans alive. FuhQuake gives QWTF Q3-matching graphics. OZTF mod attempts to balance the classes more, although everyone has gotten used to soldier dominance and FRJing to the point where OZTF can't fulfill that original intention... this is the biggest essay I've written in ages so I'd like to stop here! Everything I mentioned is only to the best of my knowledge. Apologies for any errors or ommissions! To those that haven't contributed their bit to this thread, please donate some of your time

Last edited by Shoyu : 15th June 2003 at 04:25.