View Single Post
Old 17th November 2022, 16:59     #1894
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Of course it is, it's fucking stupid and pathetic.

Not ignoring there is a link between capitalism and global warming. I'd agree 100% with that.

But linking that back to colonisation is so myopic it hurts.

You gonna tell me that China has zero emissions?
How about Russia?

If you use that kind of bleeding heart ideology, literally everything can be 'causally linked' to colonisation. Perfect for victimhood.

Not arguing against some of what the guy says, but hedging it causally is stupid. It's a tangential issue.

If he were to talk about industrialisation instead of colonisation, then I would have some respect for him.
Anything else just comes across as indoctrinated agenda pushing. And I'm not right wing. I don't throw those words around like memes.
You've missed half the point. Yes industrialization & exploitation of indigenous resources is part of it but he's also talking about modern efforts to reduce global warming. Indigenous groups aren't at the table, their decision making power & their ideologies about the world have largely been suppressed through the colonisation process. (Not to sidetrack but 3 waters proposed to give Maori more of a say in managing their resources & people lost their shit.)
From the recent IPCC report that reignited the conversation.

Quote:
"Colonialism can inhibit the development of robust climate adaptation strategies, and exacerbate climate risks (very high confidence)."

"The legacy of colonialism and historical patterns of development will continue to shape the adaptation responses and resiliency of Indigenous Peoples (Todd, 2015; Davis and Todd, 2017; Whyte, 37 2017; Cameron et al., 2019)."
https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg2/r...ne-statements/