View Single Post
Old 6th March 2015, 19:21     #15
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Our spy agency engages in spying. This spying encompasses monitoring communications that are accessible from NZ. I can understand why this is a surprise for some people but for my part I'm unsurprised.
I'm not surprised. Nor am I surprised about the nature and scope of the spying. I'm not sure what role "surprise" has to play in any of this. Other than an emerging trope used to dismiss something some want to ignore that others don't.

What's different now is it's irrefutable. What is being exposed is how different our leaders' narratives are compared to reality. It's not surprising but now it's demonstrable.

I don't see this as a matter of stopping spying. This is a matter of opposing forces, specifically freedom and control. By standing up against mass surveillance, by insisting on limits and oversight, by refusing to accept the story being told and demanding facts over narrative, we stand up for freedom. Not to overwhelm control, but to provide balance.

Our lives are lived in the balance of many opposing forces. Exactly where these forces are balanced determine the lives we get to live. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I like to do my best to have a say in the kind of life I get to live.