View Single Post
Old 10th July 2020, 12:55     #848
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
You're welcome. But look, the fact that western countries haven't yet become explicitly fascist doesn't mean that we needn't concern ourselves with extant undercurrents of fascism. And in fact, given that inverted totalitarianism is a thing, we might think that we have a strong reason to be vigilant against the sort of bigoted fascist beliefs that might result in vulnerable minorities being targeted.
Yes, this x100. It's not fascism though. It's a systemic wealth extraction, financial feudalism, and "magician's choice" when it comes to political candidates. It also meets it's "diversity quota" because it fucks everyone of any race, gender, and sexuality equally.

Quote:
Depends on where you're looking, it's certainly the case that this is more true in New Zealand than it is in America, for example. But even here in New Zealand, the March 15th mosque shootings were arguably a very real act of stochastic terrorism.

Moreover, since BLM seems to be a topic coming up in this discussion a fair bit, I think it's relevant to point out that the events in Charlottesville would suggest that your assertion about white nationalists being a joke is at the very least false in America.
Our racism is given to us by the media we consume. From left to right we're taught to see people by their inherent traits as a primary filter through which to judge their character. It's sanctimonious correcting of anglo historical tyranny on the left, and xenophobic anti-globalist racial pride on the right. Stories that confirm the righteousness of a position or condemn the other side are rewarded with clicks and advertising revenue. Change the funding incentive structure, and you'd change the world.

They are the new religions. And trolls like 4chan and PewDiePie think they are being clever by poking fun, but we're at a stage now where it is quite clearly a pathological fixation on race. Communication with the other side is impossible and not even desired, violence is the only solution. Making memes and poking fun only emboldens the zealots, and antagonizes the other.

I have more in common with a Sudanese Muslim in my income bracket than I do with a white heterosexual atheist whose wealth is managed out of Panama by Mossack Fonseca. The longer we squabble over the scraps, the more likely we all end up with zero wealth to pass on to our children. It'll be 10,000 people in the world with 8 yachts each, and 8 billion employees, tenants, and rent payers.