Thread: Nerd tools
View Single Post
Old 14th December 2023, 19:59     #83
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

My manager showed me caddy - an alternative to nginx. If you hate nginx config like I do, then you should check it out

You don't have to worry about dealing with certbot, or that ridiculous ACME challenge dance with an HTTP config and then HTTPS with cert files. It's automatic, done behind the scenes, and so far has Just Worked.

The config is minimal - I don't think it could get any simpler. It was always annoying not to have wildcard certs with certbot, so I avoided using subdomains, but now I can just add a line of config with the subdomain I want to use, tell it to reverse proxy to the relevant internal HTTP server : port (or file_server with local folder), and voila. Performance is sufficient... if you are a normal person with a normal load (less than thousands of requests per second), then you are likely fine. I switched out my apache+ssl/certbot config to caddy/apache and it was a piece of piss. Took 5 minutes when I was in bed about to sleep. A single short Caddyfile for everything, no headaches.

As a bonus, you get my shitty Kraftwerk inspired Javascript demo which has out of sync audio that only works in Firefox once you enable it. As you can see, I am not a front end guy.