Thread: TV posts
View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:25     #7179
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Nice one.
Anyone know of any (fan) sites that might list the references to either NZ past or the Outrageous Fortune future.

I feel like there are many little things that I miss.
Ok - I'm scratching my head here - hopefully some NZGamers from ChCh might be able to recall - and it's one of those things that could get litigious of I got it wrong!

So, back in the late 80's, early 90's, there was a luxury car dealer in Christchurch - he lived down the road from a young lady I was "spending time with" in Fendalton - definitely the other side of the tracks for an East side lad! She used to recount the various interesting marques that he would drive home - even, (shock horror) the odd Lambo. I won't name him here, because it would be unfair if my recollection is untrue.

So there was a story going around at the time about him landing a new Porsche import (I always thought it was a Champagne coloured 928, but it could have been a 944S) at Lyttleton, and it being stolen from the wharf. He was so outraged, that he hired a chopper and flew over the city looking for it. That's the urban legend that should be provable (or at least memorable by anyone growing up in the early 90's).

Now this is where it gets murky - I seem to recall, but can't find any records, that there was some used car salesman drama going on in the industry at this time around imports and odo tampering - possibly even, during the time of yuppies, some other nefarious business too.

That's where the Westside tie in comes into play - was the Porsche story arc a call back to something that didn't actually happen in Auckland, but based on rumours of something down here?

Can anyone recall this - or did I dream it?