View Single Post
Old 27th January 2004, 18:31     #83
Moo
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I posted this in the other thread regarding my use of the word nigger. I haven't bothered to read any of the posts in this thread except Simon's so I apologise if anyone spent alot of time on satirical wit that will ultimately be wasted.

I think I should explain my actions. My original message was a quote from Pulp Fiction 'a bunch of hard hitting niggers getting medieval on your ass' to effect. After I re-read my original post, I decided that to quote the movie showed far too much levity for the situation involved (ie. two completely innocent people thinking for a moment they may die). I thus removed nearly removed the quote, only keep the word 'nigger' as the sentence made no sense without the noun. I should have used another word and I apologise for that.

My second mistake was when ipee attacked my use of the word. Instead of conceeding that I had never meant to use the word in that sense in the first place, I decided to pathetically defend my actions even though I realised I was wrong. Even in discussion, I put far too much emphasis on 'winning' and I realise this is a character flaw, one I will try to rectify.

Regarding Simon's sartirical post I'm not sure it particularly deserves mention but while I'm at it I may as well. I wrote the letter to the advertising standards complaints authority. During a movie I was watching with some international student friends, the ginga advertisement came on. I thought it was a pretty stupid advert. For the next week or so those friends referred to me as 'ginga' (in good fun, I don't think they realised it could be considered offensive), also the random outbursts from complete strangers increased about 500% during the time period the advert was on.

I came to the rather sad conclusion that most people were unable to make their own decisions or opinions, and were reliant upon others (eg. marketing executives) for making them.

Although as an intelligent adult I realise the extent to which I should value other people's opinions, I wondered what the effect this advertisement would have on the lives of the red haired children and teenagers, especially the introverted and those already are finding it hard to 'blend' in with their surroundings. If adults are having their behaviour changed by a simple advert, if I personally experienced a 500% increase in idiocy, I would _shudder_ to think how the lives of children were affected during that time period.

My letter mainly consisted of my concerns for children and the time slot the advertisement was shown. I guess this wouldn't make sensationalist news if someone actually was trying to prevent teenage suicides so let's just stick to the old prejudices eh?