View Single Post
Old 4th October 2018, 14:26     #41229
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
It isn't an exaggeration to point out that just a slight public misstep can be blown out of proportion both in the response, and the counter-response.
And? Isn't this the debate friendly free-speech anything goes paradise that is supposedly the epitome of democracy?

Quote:
I think the outrage is largely unintentional and effortless. Twitter is 4chan-gone-mainstream. It's capacity to overwhelm and destroy can spontaneously manifest from a simple click of support for some showerthought scaled across millions of half-engaged participants.
I think the outrage has always been here - it's simply more visible and accessible now. Certainly much of the gender material has been bubbling away since the 60s when it started to gain traction in the mainstream.

Having said that I've come to be convinced that all social media which operate on a large scale (so excluding things which have a geographic grounding or bias) have a primary function of producing affect, while communication has become a secondary function which only supersedes affective functions in a case of things like national or regional disasters.

Quote:
But no one group has their hand on the lever that deems something good or bad.
I agree but someone should tell that to the Professor Strumia who seems to believe that there is an international cabal of Jewish academics who have been plotting the downfall of western civilisation by degrading the moral centre of our youth. (pgs 24-26 of his powerpoint).