View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2018, 21:50     #41210
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Apologies for the absence of my usual sarcastic/inflammatory posting in this thread today, moving house, fuck I hate.

Anyway. Professor Strumia.

In my down time between picking boxes of stuff up from one place and getting yelled at to put them in another place, I gave the PDF of his PPT a quick scan. Some quick thoughts:

- dude obviously isn't superfluent in English
- the PDF doesn't seem to contain the text of his presentation, just his on-screen material, so I have no idea what he actually said in person or if he said it in Italian or English
- jesus powerpoint sucks
- jesus people suck at conveying information when using powerpoint
- looks to me like Strumia went out of his way to acknowledge the issues facing women in the sciences; the "physics was invented by men" bit that he's getting lynched for was literally on a slide entitled "Discrimination against women". He was giving an example of something systemic that makes shit hard for women!
- summary: he's getting "So what you're saying is"d Cathy Newman style hard by people who didn't even read his presentation let alone hear what he said
- no-one is arguing with his data, which is a lot of the ppt
- Strumia, a non-native-English speaker, is getting reamed by fluent English users who are parsing his every implication and every possible inference in the worst possible ways
- he's fucked. This is already a "you're worse than Hitler for even bringing this research up, my feelings are hurt, I want to speak to your manager, I'll have your job for this, I asked for a cheeseburger without gherkin" situation, and social justice warriors will be virtue-signalling until Strumia is a smoking hole in the ground.