View Single Post
Old 20th October 2017, 12:08     #59
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
It’s crazy how polarising this election became on social media. There was no weighing up the merit of each parties’ policy and going for the team that appealed to you most. It was All Blacks vs Australia, pick a team and if it’s different to mine you’re the enemy. Which is pretty sad really.
Yeah, agreed.

Quote:
Also it’s surprising how many butthurt National supporters still don’t understand MMP. And from the reaction of English (& the young Nats) on election night, it seems National doesn’t either.

I think English has handled this very well (no idea what the Young Nats have done but I presume it's something dickish, because Young Nats). The way Fairfax are reporting this is basically "Winston wanted influence over things in a manner disproportionate to NZ First's share in Parliament; English wasn't prepared to give it to him while Jacinda was"

Quote:
The price of power. Deputy Prime Minister, four ministers in Cabinet, one more outside Cabinet. And some big policy wins, including immigration.

It was a price Jacinda Ardern was prepared to pay, and one that Bill English judged as too high. Over the coming days and hours we will find out more about what finally tipped Winston Peters hand in Labour's favour. But for now we know enough. After days of hard ball negotiation, and talks that Peters dragged out till the 11th hour, Ardern just wanted it more than English.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...-new-territory