Thread: TV posts
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2011, 00:28     #4077
fidgit
Always itchy

So, I'm sure some of you must have been Transformers fans back in the day (that is, the 80's G1,2,movie,3 days).

The newest incarnation, Transformers: Prime, is actually pretty good. It's CG ala Beast Wars (though not being done by Mainframe/Rainmaker this time).

It starts with a 5 part mini series, with Megatron and Optimus voiced by Peter Cullen and Frank Welker. Watching this, I can't see why Michael Bey didn't get Frank to voice Megatron in the movies - he's still spot on, especially when dressing down Starscream (perhaps a minor gripe was Starscream wasn't screech-y enough, but his 'voice' died in 1994, so... fair enough).

The show is being overseen by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurztman (the guys that did Fringe, Alias and Star Trek with JJ) - being born in '73 both, I'd say they grew up proper fans of the show, and it comes across in what is, for my money, the best Transformers spin-off/continuation/reboot since Beast Wars.

If you grew up a fan, and want your kids to do the same (or you just want to relive the ol' Megatron-getting-mad-at-Starscream days of yore), you could do a lot worse than sitting them down in front of Transformers: Prime.