View Single Post
Old 4th February 2021, 12:47     #67
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hard-hitting analysis from the Washington Post:

Quote:
Where are the women in GameStop? Wallstreetbets isn't a welcoming subreddit, women say

Women are missing from the GameStop news. Experts blame this ‘fratty’ subreddit. The online forum is ‘not a fun place to be if you’re not a White man’
When Katja Gravel joined, she said, she immediately recognized a “bro-ey, fratty mentality.” Commenters would call things “retarded” and “autistic,” and joke about how “all women are cheaters.” “He” and “his” were the default pronouns.

“These were all words I used when I was 12, before I realized they were not okay,” said Gravel, 32, who works in recruitment in Raleigh, N.C. She never flagged the inappropriate comments, she said, knowing she’d get called out for being a “sensitive snowflake” or a “stupid loser.”

“They told all these crude jokes,” Stevens said, “things women just don’t tend to say.”

These jokes are often told with a “wink, wink, nod, nod,” Massanari said. It’s never entirely clear whether commenters are serious. For many women who come to the platform, she said, it doesn’t matter whether the jokes are told “ironically”: They feel uncomfortable, so they go elsewhere.
Masculine pronouns? Someone said a thing that made someone feel uncomfortable? that's a cancellin'.