View Single Post
Old 13th May 2017, 00:05     #38
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
NZ seems to be in a bad way. From what I can see--at a distance--I am in complete agreement with your assessment that the mental health system is nonfunctional, although being distanced from it I don't have the level of personal rage that you exhibit.
Social policy in general is fucked. Partly due to the hole left by the sagging mental health system, but also due to the general policy decisions National seem to be making.

Young Offenders Responsible for Violent Crimes

Quote:
“Police statistics paint a disturbing picture.

“The 15-19 year-old age group only make up 6% of the population, yet they commit a high number of the violent crimes we’ve seen around the country recently.

“These young offenders need to be held to account.

“While the amount of offending is a serious concern, it is worrying that the rate of offending is increasing at staggering levels in most regions.

“Between 2015 and 2016, the number of serious offences committed by 15-19 year olds increased in 10 of the 12 police districts.

“Robberies committed by teens in Waitemata and Southern Districts rose 40%, Northland and Canterbury increased over 50%, and Counties/Manakau is up by a staggering 80%.

“Sexual assaults committed by teens increased in 7 of the 12 police districts, with Waikato up 36% and Waitemata up 45%.

“Across the entire country burglaries committed by teens increased 13% and robberies by a massive 40%,” says Mr Ball.
Behaviour is impacted by complex factors it's true, and we have a good understanding of these factors and can be prepared with a complex response. Responses we're definitely capable of in NZ, most of which has been thrown out the window for the last 9 years.

You've got police dealing with lots more shit than they used to, CYF is all fucked up, now National is all "a wassa goin' on guys, we're all puzzled as shit, give us a hand eh?"

If I was cynical I would wonder about how this conveniently suits National's voter base. National can spin some more moderate version of whatever Winny cooks up, something consistent with their perpetual tough on crime stance, which now appears more important than ev4r.