Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Warcraft
C&C
Space Quest 3 (or Police Quest maybe..)
Diablo II
TF2
Q2:RA

(Captain Comic / Commander Keen honorable mentions)

Back in the day my old man worked for a company called "The Great Escape" who (afaik) distributed the first WYSE terminals in NZ. He'd often work weekends and drag me and my brother (we were aged 6-12 during this time period) into their Parnell warehouse, to get us out from under mums feet when the weather was shitty.

All of the techs there were in their mid 20s and most probably pretty hardcore gamers. We rarely met them, with one exception who is still a family friend 25-30 years later.

To keep us occupied dad would fire up a couple of PCs and after we had figured out DOS commands we'd steadily make our way through games folders with 20+ games in them, trying each one out with no idea what it was or how to play it. Eventually working out that EGA / VGA was better than CGA, making sure the game was using Adlib instead of PC Speaker, and figuring out the keys by trial and error. These were all pirated games, so no manuals available. I do remember once finding a walk-through for Police Quest that one tech had printed out from some BBS, we had been stuck half way through the game at one point for weeks and at that age didnt care about spoilers because we were so ecstatic to get to the end of the game!

At one point TGE had upgraded to a flash North Shore office/warehouse on Ellice Road and I have an extremely vivid memory of playing Doom for the first time here at about 7:30pm in the middle of winter. When encountering the first pink demon I got the first video game jump scare of my life. Good times.
/reminisce

Last edited by pxpx : 9th November 2017 at 09:05.