View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:29     #253
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
No, the problem is that using a visual inspection to determine biological sex is wrong (ie intersex people). However if we moved to something else (eg gamets) what use will society have for that if someone who visually looks like one gender (including genitalia) has gamets of the opposite?
See: South African athlete Caster Semenya. Identifies and competes as female, has testes, no uterus or ovaries. Semenya is a male and his participation in female events is unfair. /canofworms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi

people can be born with neither large nor small gametes, or born with both.
Oh of course it’s possible to be born sterile. But can you post some examples of people who have been born with “neither large nor small” gametes, or of people who have been born with both large AND small gametes? Other than instances of things such as mosaicism and chimerism as I mentioned earlier. (There was one fascinating case last year in which a bone marrow transplant recipient was starting to have his natal dna overwritten by the donor’s dna; both male I gather but if one had been female, I wonder what would happen...)