Thread: Ethereum
View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:58     #78
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I'm getting 4 x 270W Canadian Solar panels (~1kW) with Enphase microinverters - the smallest installation they bother with. No battery/storage at this stage, but maybe in a few years if the price comes down. Installation is pencilled in sometime before Xmas, but the installer has yet to confirm a date.

My current mining setup is currently using ~300-350W with 3 cards, but I have some inefficient cards/machines/miners (another 200-600W) that I wouldn't mind using to supplement them during the day. The Enphase system has an API for production/consumption data, and I have Belkin Wemo switches that also have APIs for turning things on/off. I can hopefully maximise mining while minimising grid consumption.

At the current mining/BTC rate the 3 cards would pay for the solar ($5k) in 3-4 years, but that is of course subject to huge volatility so I can't depend on that being the case and I'm basically betting on Bitcoin/crypto mining (in whatever form) continuing to be relevant. As I've learned from silly TAB gambling, these things are more fun when you have skin in the game