View Single Post
Old 9th October 2008, 15:51     #4013
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
AC Cobra replica kits (which are a BETTER car in pretty much every way over the original + shitloads cheaper) say you're wrong.
Yeah - they look really good, often have amazing build quality and as you say perform better etc etc... but if you had a kit parked next to a real original... and you knew which was which... you'd lust after the original, wouldn't you?

And I know that doesn't make sense... but it's not supposed to. It's why I still think the F40 is the best car on the planet even though it would now get creamed by top end Audis let alone everything else in the current Ferrari stable.

It's why I've never liked the Bugatti Veyron. Totally respect the engineering feat, and its statistics - they're amazing. But to me it has no soul... no indefinable, unquantifiable, unscientific quality that makes something truly appealing. When I see a Cobra on the road I go "Awesome! A cobra!"... but if I know its a replica it suddenly loses the gloss. If I found out it was an original I'd probably need to change my pants.