View Single Post
Old 11th August 2008, 02:19     #2089
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I saw an odd thing in the paper the other day. A bloke running a dairy for 23 years believes that when the Government modifies the law so that he can no long sell alcohol as he has for the past ~4 years his dairy will go out of business.

So what changed in those four years that makes running a dairy non-viable? Or has the dairy owner just become accustomed to the additional profits and doesn't want to run a dairy at the profits he made for the initial 20 years of operation.
I only skimmed the article so I'm not sure if they pointed this out, but you can't sell alcohol at a 'dairy' in NZ anyway. All they (Govt? Police? LLA?) are wanting to do is define that better. Currently, all sorts of tiny little dairies start calling themselves 'marts' or something, to get their liquor licenses. Some of them, (the ones that are typically alligned to a bigger chain like 4Squares, StarMarts, Night&Day's or City Stops), are already probably big enough to still be allowed (100 square metres?), and your little Patel run corner store shouldn't have been allowed to in the first place.

FWIW, I personally don't think this is going to have any affect on the drinking problems in New Zealand, but it's not a terrible place to start.