View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2009, 02:26     #2100
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Thug
Pretty gorgeous surf footage from Lyall Bay Wellington.
The planets aligned and I got a unique kind of angle to shoot from, a south facing coast (sun sets along wave) and a fresh offshore breeze to get some interesting shots.

http://vimeo.com/3013031
Cool vid. As a non-surfer, and a non-photo / cinematic geek though, it comes across a little bit lacking.

This probably sounds harsher than I mean it to. I guess what I mean is - all I saw was water and surfers? That said, to me, it's also actually quite cool because I live in Wellington, and I have of course been to Lyall Bay, and spent the odd evening there on the beach doing stuff. But if your description hadn't included Lyall Bay, I would never have known it was shot there. There was no frame of reference. And I don't know if I would send it on to other people who I knew weren't also surfers and didn't live in Wellington, which is a shame, because it's beautifully shot.

Again I will reiterate, I am no surfer, so I really can't compare. But, in my mind at least, there has to be something somewhat unique about Lyall Bay, in that it's a) in a country's capital city, b) literally RIGHT by the airport, and c) still suitable for surfing. A lot of people who I have taken there have been quite surprised by that (and, so was I, the first time I saw it, which I remember quite well.) This makes me think that if you can spare a couple of seconds here and there to introduce a few other environmental aspects, it will give your clip a lot more substance, and hopefully, not detract from its primary focus, of the waves and the actual surfing.

BTW I loved how the light seemed to progress from a blue-ish tinge to more golden towards the end - gave it a good sense of progression and was of course quite pretty.

So yeah. I think I will STFU now. And please don't think I'm criticizing, cause I'm not meaning to - it's a freaking cool vid Just wanted to give feedback from someone who might not have been anywhere near your target audience, in case that's useful, cause I know you do a lot of videos!