Thread: List Ya skills
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2003, 11:43     #38
Sp0nge

my skills: ALL of the above, to some degree or other...at one time or other.
add to that list fortran, modula2, knowledgeman, cobol, and youre still not even close to having half a complete list.
(and yes, they all do tend to blend into one!)

People nowdays tend to think you cant be exposed to everything...but my attitude is: why not?
I think the most important skill to have is the willingness and ability to learn whatever you need to get the job done.
you also need great communication skills, which means be straight to the point. If you dont know something: ask, even if you think its dumb.

I have worked with too many fools who waste time trying to do something the hard way, when they could have searched google and done some cut and paste (another very useful skill), and finished much quicker, so you can go back to wasting time playing around with something else.

A tip for those of you just out of uni: if you are lucky enough to have the choice of two companies, choose the smaller one.
You will learn lots more, although it might be hard at first.
later on you can move to any big company, and surf the net all day, because you can do a days work in an hour.
or go contracting from company to company and keep learning new stuff as you go.

all these skills people are listing, will be obsolete one day. so if you want to stay in the industry, you must learn new shit.

if you love coding, whatever you do, dont accept promotions which move you away from that (such as BA or management of people etc). I have seen too many good programmers get promoted to their level of incompetence and regret it later.

last piece of advice: think for yourself.
(which means you can ignore any of the above...
because I told you so)