View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:46     #45
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

What would Richard Stallman do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
I am careful in how I use the Internet.

I generally do not connect to web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites I have some special relationship with. I usually fetch web pages from other sites by sending mail to a program (see https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them, much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly. I usually try lynx first, then a graphical browser if the page needs it (using konqueror, which won't fetch from other sites in such a situation).

I occasionally also browse unrelated sites using IceCat via Tor. Except for rare cases, I do not identify myself to them. I think that is enough to prevent my browsing from being connected with me. IceCat blocks tracking tags and most fingerprinting methods.

I never pay for anything on the Web. Anything on the net that requires payment, I don't do. (I made an exception for the fees for the stallman.org domain, since that is connected with me anyway.) I also avoid paying with credit cards. For freedom's sake, insist on paying cash. When a business pressures you to pay in an identified way, that means your help as a citizen is needed: say, "If you won't take my cash, no sale!"

I would not mind paying for a copy of an e-book or music recording on the Internet if I could do so anonymously, and it were ethical in other ways (no DRM or EULA). But that option almost never exists. I keep looking for ways to make it exist.

I have never had a Facebook account, or a Google+ account. Some impostor created a Facebook account using my name. The page is not mine. The Google+ account using my name is also not mine.

I reject Facebook because it requires each used (i.e., person used by Facebook) to have just one account, which means that all the person's activities are grouped together. It also insists on knowing the person's usual name, and it is starting to demand a series of different photos.

I am proud to identify myself when stating my views; I can afford to do that because I am in a fairly safe position. There are people who rationally fear reprisals (from employers, gangsters, right-wing extremists, or the state) if they sign their name to their views. For their sake, let's reject any social networking site which insists on connecting an account to a person's real identity.

Of course, Facebook is bad for many other reasons as well.

Google+ formerly required knowing the user's real name, but no longer. However, it does require identification in the form of a phone number.

Meanwhile, Google+ has another unacceptable injustice: it requires running nonfree Javascript code to post a message.
I didn't expect to ever say this, but maybe more people need to be more like Richard Stallman. *picks hard skin from his feet and eats it*

We are the ones agreeing to give up our attention/information/meta-data through our own laziness, mostly for convenience. Therefore, the solution depends on us modifying our own behaviours. Even this site gives Google information, which is not our attention, but Google still benefits by learning more about us as individuals.