View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:34     #1938
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
But right to life doesn't count?
When a person breaks laws, they also lose rights - prison is an example of rights being lost, specifically the right to freedom of movement, and freedom to leave the country. Typically crimes breach other peoples rights and laws are expected to be respected. If someone demonstrates that they don't respect laws, and breaches the rights of others, then their rights should diminish accordingly. If they persistently demonstrate that they have no respect for rights or law, then I don't see a fundamental reason why right to life needs to be upheld. The fact that capital punishment has existed, and still exists in other countries, shows that it has been effective in the past. To say that it's no longer effective is to ignore the reality of capital punishment.

I appreciate that governments and the justice system get things wrong. Again, it's not something to dish out for stealing a loaf of bread. But a clear demonstration that you don't respect laws or other people's rights, are willing to cause harm to many people, in particular children, and have been through the usual processes without success, continue to offend, despite fair warning, seems to imply that something more serious and effective could be put into place that would solve the problem.

I'm not suggesting "cruel and unusual punishment" - I'm suggesting quick and easy solutions to a problem citizen that refuses to change their ways and respect others rights and refuses to "act in a spirit of brotherhood" despite repeated and clear warnings and attempts to rehabilitate.