View Single Post
Old 6th March 2013, 13:09     #15
Baxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
For example, I pretty much never make a shadow just a darker shade of the colour that's in the shade. So say if it was a yellow shirt, I wouldn't make it just a darker yellow, or black. It looks too flat and unnatural, I would use the complimentary colour which is purple/violet, it gives off the feeling that the shade is cool from the yellow heat, and has a real feeling of shade and depth. Learning the basic colour wheel and subsequent complementary colours are invaluable to me.
o yea I see what you mean. that site looks interesting. I might google and sit down and see what I can work through. Something I have wanted to do for ages is something really bright but also dark. Kinda like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Feel_Sick but I always seem to get stuck matching the bright colours and darks together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
That's pretty much the end game for art. You're basically doing reference paintings and studies all the time so that you can pull them out of your mind when you need them. I still use references for a lot of things, and when I don't it really, really shows. Many amazing artists still use references as a basic guide but the final product won't resemble anything like their reference, so they just use it as a guide and then create from their imagination, or even other references (for example, a reference of a human, then a reference of a bird wing for an angel or something).
I understand. actually understanding how the thing is proportioned so you can position it how you want? I wanted a pirate ship for this picture so just based it off a stock photo. It ended up completly determining how the background image was layed out instead of fitting into it.
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...38289964_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
The single most important thing I think you can do is take life study classes. It, in my opinion, is the core and when you've got a strong core everything else can feed off of it. Another bonus is that if you take a public class, you'll be around likeminded individuals and can feed off of them, gaining and giving information. There is absolutely no negative to doing it, and the rate you progress will be astronomical when compared to not doing it.

I think, in my opinion, if you want to just keep this up as a hobby and be happy with your end results, life study classes are at the top of the list of things to do, but I wouldn't discount Googling colour theory and focal points for drawing. You don't need to go deep into those topics, but a general understanding will take you far.
I have never bothered to really sit down and study anything before I start drawing. Even people. I think I will check around for some classes. in the short term I might get my drawing pads out and start drawing various pics of stuff to see if I can get the image right without faking it and just drawing a cartoon.

Man thanks for your feedback. those pics of yours really show me far I have to go. The fact you seem to know just where to put the shading and how to use the white space to fill the image amazes me. also the line thickness to emphasise areas of the pics. Gave me a good dose of art wood.