View Single Post
Old 5th October 2022, 09:56     #418
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
That's a key point there actually. I've found myself in water cooler conversations with quite a few people that declare themselves as anti-war.

This comes in two flavours.

I'm Anti-War so when one nation invades another and tries to start one, we should be doing all we can to push them back.

I'm Anti-War so let Russia and Ukraine do whatever they want and don't get involved.

I'm personally firmly in the "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" camp.

Now I'm not saying I'm volunteering to go over, but I certainly don't see Russia and Ukraine on equal footing. One invaded the other. There is clearly a "bad guy" here.
Heh, I just called DrT on overly simplifying, however that is precisely where I fall too. Yes I recognise that Ukraine has a terrible track record regarding human rights, but if the government and AZOV can unify against Russia's advances, the likelihood of 90% of DPR wishing for annexation seems absurd. If Russia has grievances with Ukraine's treatment of the population on their borders, then offer asylum and support in rebuilding lives on THEIR side of the border.

The fact that Russia's first strike was a targeted heavy march on Kyiv however, seems to indicate to me that supporting the population of the DPR was at best, a secondary goal.

**edit** I also find it interesting that Mariupol was one of the first targeted locations, alongside the fact that Russian mines have been producing consistently (and in some cases drastically) lower yields over the past two decades.

Last edited by Trigga*happY : 5th October 2022 at 10:00.