View Single Post
Old 10th November 2015, 17:26     #22
Heyzoos
Robosexual

Be proud Australia.

What did children say about detention centres?

Quote:
I want to tell you that actually I spent about fifteen nights in the ride to Australia. I was in a small boat if you want to call that a boat, because it was smaller than that, with lots of difficulties. When I saw [we were] getting near Australia I was becoming a little bit hopeful. When we passed Darwin I got to the detention centre, as soon as I looked at these barbed wires my mind was full of fear. That was the time that I experienced fear …

Unaccompanied Afghan boy found to be a refugee, Melbourne focus group
Quote:
I think every Australian knows what a prison is, what a prison looks like and what happens in a prison … prisoners they know when they’re going to be released … and at that date they’re going to get their freedom … But in detention centre, like no one knows when they’re going be released. Tomorrow, day after tomorrow, for two years, like, you know, waiting how much hard it is …

Teenage boy found to be a refugee, Brisbane focus group
Quote:
I think that the children should be free and when they are there for one year or two years they are just wasting their time, they could go to school and they could learn something. They could be free. Instead they are like a bird in a cage.

Ten-year-old Afghan girl found to be a refugee,
Perth focus group
Quote:
We came here because we wanted freedom. We did not come to be imprisoned for three years. Nothing will help us, only freedom will help us. We want to be free – that is all.

Detainee boy, Baxter
https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publi...tion-australia